Friday, January 13, 2017

I could have been paralyzed...

When I was 23, I was in a semi serious car accident.  I was the passenger of a car driven by someone who had taken medication without telling me and mixed it with alcohol. We went around a wide curve and I realized too late that we weren't making the curve and watched helplessly as we slammed straight into the back of a parked pickup going 40mph.

The airbags & glass around me exploded. Next thing I knew, I was coughing & gagging from the powder from the airbags. My head was pounding and I felt like my entire body had been slammed into the ground. I looked over and the driver was passed out in their seat. i tried to roll down my window since i couldn't breathe and i started to panic. Luckily a good samaritan had run out of their house & come to our aide. He knocked frantically on my window and asked if I was ok. I shook my head & shouted to him to please get me out. He tried the door but the door was jammed shut, so he reached in and pushed the window down and grabbed me under my arms and lifted me out of the car.

I remember walking to the sidewalk with only one shoe, the cold gravel digging into my feet. Someone sat me down, someone else wrapped a blanket around me and someone else sat down and asked me if I was ok, told me that am ambulance was on the way. I looked down at my legs and my shins were already swelling & bruised & bloody. Luckily, my legs weren't broken but the impact had slammed the dash & glove compartment down on my legs pretty hard where they were cut & the color was already this sickly dark blue & red.

I didn't speak. I didn't cry. I was just in a daze as I glanced around at all the spectators that had gathered outside their homes on this quiet suburban street, sirens in the distance.

The car I was in was totaled. The front was completely crumpled in and we were lucky to be alive. The car was smoking by the time the ambulance arrived. I refused to go to the hospital. I thought I was ok, I thought the tightness in my back was just from my muscles contracting and me being anxious from having just been in this accident. The police officer offered to drive me back to the house. It was a short drive, maybe 10 minutes.

As soon as we pulled up to the house though, I knew I wasn't ok. I could barely move to open the car door, much less step out. I told the police officer this and he immediately called the ambulance back again. They ended up strapping me onto a stretcher & I came in and out of consciousness until I woke up in the hospital hours later.

Turns out that when the vehicle collided, I tensed up anticipating the crash & in doing so, my muscles essentially crushed my 7th vertebrae. The doctor told me I was extremely lucky because I could have been paralyzed by all the moving around I had done immediately after the accident. I was lucky as I didn't need spine surgery, I just needed to wear a back & neck brace for 4-6 months, along with going to physical therapy to strengthen my back again.

When I think back on what could have been...it makes me shiver.  To think that I could have been paralyzed from the waist down. To think I could have lost the use of my legs. To think of what life would have been had I not been so lucky.

Unfortunately in the years since the accident, the accident has given me something that I deal with on a weekly basis.

Extremely bad lower back pains.

Couple this with 2 babies that were in the 99th percentile for weight, and it gets compounded by bedsharing, babywearing & general everyday life. Its not fun but I dealt with it by taking Advil or Tylenol or whatever other pain med was available in the cabinet.

Then I tried Young Living Essential Oils, and in the starter kit was Valor.


Some call it "Chiropractor in a bottle" & it deserves this title.  Topically applied with a carrier oil on my lower back when it starts to ache helps lower the pain factor and makes the pain tolerable again without pain medication. 


Whenever I feel the ache start to happen, I like to diffuse 1-2 drops and take deep breaths. It helps take my mind off the pain & topically applied, the pain eases quickly. It truly is an amazing pain medication..without being medication! 


It has so many more uses then just being a pain reliever that this is a MUST HAVE oil in your arsenal. It is available in the YL Starter Kit (plus free diffuser) 

Ask me today how you can get started on your way to pain maintenance without the use of pain medication. 

https://www.youngliving.com/vo/#/signup/new-start?sponsorid=3846010&enrollerid=3846010&isocountrycode=US&culture=en-US&type=member



No comments:

Post a Comment